Friday, March 02, 2007

Our First Dud

I hate to be the one to do this, but here is our first dud book. I picked this up at the library (it's a series a little like the American Girl books except theres a girl in every different culture/country instead of just time periods of American History). I started reading it and almost immediately knew it was going to be bad, but I tried to stick it out for a while.
Unfortunately, it didn't get better. The language used is simple and choppy. It sounds like a 7 or 8 year old wrote the book, even though it is supposed to be for mid teens (I think the girl in the book is 16 actually).
I think this may be one of the only books I've ever started and not finished because it was so bad. It might be ok for an 8-10 year old, but that's about it!
To be fair, I didn't read far enough into it to see if the plot was any good, but the language was not good enough for someone who has read GOOD literature.
Anyone else read this or another book in the series? Do you disagree? I'm interested to hear your thoughts.
Title: Lady of Ch'iao Kuo: Red Bird of the South
Author: Laurence Yep
Type: YA Fiction
Plot: Unknown, but set in Early AD China when the tribes are all at war.

No comments: